[mapguide-users] RE: Points from Sql/ODBC data source not showing

soudemans soudemans at ruekert-mielke.com
Tue Dec 6 10:30:04 EST 2011

Hi,

I'm back, and I'll admit it has been a while.  I have continued my research
in this fickle problem and have made some progress.  Part of this issue, not
earlier discussed, is that we also want to create a themed layer based on a
related table in SQL server.  I remember that in Mapguid 6.x this wasn't a
big deal, but for some reason it is in Enterprise.  After trying to get this
to work the traditional way, I found a suggestion to NOT do the join in
MapGuide.  The suggestion, when working with spatial data from and ArcSDE
GeoDatabase, was to create a spatial view, and then theme that spatial view
in MapGuide.  I did that and for the most part it worked, but not quite the
way I want it to.

Here is the thing, it works when I create an INNER JOIN, meaning that only
those records matching in both joined tables are shown.  BUT I want to show
all the records from the spatial data set and only those records that match
from the tabular joined data set.  In official SQL terms this is called an
OUTER JOIN.  Unfortunately the INNER JOIN works like a charm and the OUTER
JOIN does not.  This is where we come back to the old issue; the layer
simply does not show up in previews or on the website.

One way to get around this is to take the entire layer, display it in one
color (the color representing the null values) and then overlaying that with
the same layer themed based on an INNER JOIN where the items that would
ordinarily not have matching records are simply ignored.  Unfortunately, I
like stuff like this to be neat and tidy, and I would probably end up
tossing and turning at night thinking about the dual layer work-around.
Anyone else run into this issue?