[mapguide-users] Any success stories compiling MG OS 2.2 with Oracle provider on 64-bit Linux?

cheesybiscuits thomaschristian at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 20:06:20 EST 2012

First off - I apologise for the number of posts I have generated lately. I'm
just getting up to speed with MapGuide and there's a lot that the
documentation doesn't seem to cover, or information does exist but it's
buried within a link that's only found in a single forum thread. I know the
typical response to this kind of comment on OS software is 'so do something
about it' but I need to understand the platform before I can document it :)

I am currently fighting with MG OS 2.2 on a 64-bit linux platform. I got
most of the way there using the 32-bit binaries for FDO 3.5 and MG 2.2, but
I need to pull data from a 64-bit Oracle database. After lots of struggling
with FDO's CLNT_8_UNABLE_TO_LOAD_LIBRARY message I found
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/ticket/1369 this post  saying "you need to
have your fdo, oracle client and mapguide server to be all the same, ie all
64-bit or 32-bit, mix and it will not work".

Which means I'm now looking at compiling MG OS 2.2 and FDO 3.5 from source
as 64-bit, but I am *very* wary due to a number of forum threads where
either a) the OP asks for advice and gets no response, b) the OP gets some
advice but other questions remain unanswered, or c) one or more respondents
say MG isn't quite ready for 64-bit yet and it might not all work (examples:
http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/Fw-Compiling-MGOS-on-64-bit-Linux-td4199638.html
(2008),
http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/MapGuide-on-64-bits-Linux-td4192421.html
(2009),
http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/Compilation-on-64-bit-linux-td3899087.html
(2011),
http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/Does-Mapguide-work-on-64-bit-linux-td4198766.html
(2008),
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/mapguide-internals/2010-May/005518.html
(2010)... the list goes on).

I am experienced in linux but am no guru (and I don't expect to become one
in the time I have for my current project), so if the people in the above
posts (some of whom seem to know more than me) are calling no joy I can see
myself having big problems.

If I could just see one example of anyone successfully getting MG OS 2.2 (or
earlier) compiled on 64-bit linux and talking to Oracle it would be
reassuring, otherwise I will have to abandon MapGuide as too costly. My
timesheet says I am nearing the point where the $ value of my time with
MapGuide exceeds the cost of a COTS product that can achieve the same
result.

Any thoughts very much appreciated.