[mapguide-users] Dinamic Tile Render

Riccardo Pucci riccardo.pucci at dbcaditaly.com
Mon Apr 15 02:33:27 PDT 2013

Ok, I'm not talking about "tiling" as a cache system, I know that in
webgis this is the common meaning of the word, so I will not use it
anymore :)

I have a customer that asked me to implement a service that generate in
background (during night) pdf file for later print. To do that I have
encapsulated the image I retrieve via GETDYNAMICMAPOVERLAYIMAGE in pdf
file. To obtain a decent result i have increased SETDISPLAYDPI parameter
to 300 and adjusted SETDISPLAYWIDTH,SETDISPLAYHEIGHT and SETVIEWSCALE to
produce the image I need. This work well till A3 print format. Then my
customer ask me to generate A0 pdf file with the same quality. I
explained him that it is not possible, since the image to retrieve it
simply to big for MapGuide to generate. He pointed me out that A0 are
just 8 A3 paper side by side, so what I'd should do is to make 8
independent request to GETDYNAMICMAPOVERLAYIMAGE and then make a collage
inside PDF...
The problem is that each request produce an image that is optimized for
the specific view, so the combined image does not looks well at the
border of two adjacent "tile". A label for a polygonal feature, for
example, could be render in both "tile" if the polygon is splitted a
half in and a half in another tile.

I know that this is how MapGuide work and there is nothing to do. I just
wonder if in the future, could be technically possible to have a
rendering option to tell MapGuide to stylize feature without
optimization at the border of the view. I'm interested to this not much
for printing purpose, but to develop mobile application.

I'm sorry for my poor english :)

Riccardo