[mapguide-users] MapGuide offline mode

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 22:31:13 PDT 2013

If someone has figured this out, we would've known about it by now :)

Do you want offline tiled maps? Raw OpenLayers + CacheRead/CacheWrite
controls can already do this, though you'll have to mod CacheRead/CacheWrite
to access something other than the default HTML5 local storage with its
pitiful 5MB storage limit. Such an approach would require an explicit tile
seeding function of some sort so you can "take your map offline"

Do you want offline vector maps? We have the means of local storage
(WebSQL/IndexedDB), but not the means to render vectors client-side.
OpenLayers and Leaflet can probably do this to some degree, but you lose
styling fidelity as rendering is now the responsibility of OL/Leaflet. I
don't know if OL/Leaflet can handle big datasets yet as all their vector
examples involve sub-200 vector datasets (eg. Countries of the world and
other simple datasets). OpenLayers 3 is supposed to be able to do this.

There's probably other options, but they haven't been fully explored.

- Jackie