[mapguide-users] Mapguide fusion 2.6 | geolocation issue

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 03:09:35 PST 2014

HTML5 geolocation has varying levels of accuracy. We have no guarantee that
the position we get back from the API is your definitive location. There
will always be margins of error attached to the result.

For example, if I geolocate from my desktop computer at home my reported
"position" is 15-20 km from my actual location (because my desktop doesn't
have a physical GPS, so Google Chrome uses alternative means).

If I geolocate from my phone, the position is much more accurate because it
has access to dedicated GPS hardware.

To debug, you could alert the geolocated coordinates (which will be LL84
coordinates) before the widget moves/zooms to that geolocated coordinates
and see if they are close to your area.

If they are, the something is wrong with the LL84 -> WGS84.PseudoMercator
transformation. If they aren't, then I suspect something is wrong with the
GPS hardware on your Galaxy S3, especially if you are getting consistently
inaccurate results.

- Jackie