[MapProxy] Is any raster image support planned in future?

Oliver Tonnhofer olt at omniscale.de
Wed Sep 29 02:36:57 EDT 2010

Hi Andreas,

thanks for your kind words.

On 28.09.2010, at 17:26, Andreas Trawoeger wrote:
> There is only one big exception, which currently is a show stopper for
> me: There is no way to directly access raster images.
>
> It's certainly possible to combine MapProxy with any of the well known
> OpenSource WMS servers, but it defies the simplicity of just using
> MapProxy for everything I need.
>
> Are there any plans to implement raster image support in near future?
> MapProxy already seems to use GDAL so it shouldn't be too difficult to
> implement. But I have no clue if it's a going to be one of the
> MapProxy development priorities in near term.

We already thought about that, but it is not on our (Omniscale) roadmap. Of course, we are happy to integrate this feature if there is some (partial)-funding or if someone can contribute a patch.

With 0.9 the sources (WMS and tiles) are well abstracted, and it shouldn't be too difficult to add a new one. See [0] and [1] for a TMS source.

MapProxy only uses tiny fraction of OGR, just enough to read geometries from shapefiles. So, there would still be work to do for the GDAL integration.

[0] http://bitbucket.org/olt/mapproxy/src/512203dd4858/mapproxy/source/tile.py
[1] http://bitbucket.org/olt/mapproxy/src/512203dd4858/mapproxy/client/tile.py#cl-19

Oliver Tonnhofer <olt at omniscale.de>
Omniscale - Dominik Helle, Oliver Tonnhofer GbR
Nadorster Str. 60, 26123 Oldenburg
Tel: +49(0)441/9392774-2 (Fax: 9)