[MapProxy] WMS default version

dirk.thalheim at bkg.bund.de dirk.thalheim at bkg.bund.de
Tue Jun 23 23:16:29 PDT 2015

Hello Anne,

thanks for your answer. I know, Version 1.3.0. introduced some confusing changes ;-)

Unfortunately I can’t find your statement for VERSION parameter requirement in the WMS specs.

WMS 1.1.1 says:

-          GetCapabilities Operation: VERSION is optional

-          GetMap Operation: VERSION is required

-          “If no version number is specified in the request, the server shall respond with the highest version it understands and label the response accordingly.”
WMS 1.3.0 says:

-          “The VERSION parameter is mandatory in requests other than GetCapabilities.”

-          “In response to a GetCapabilities request (for which the VERSION parameter is optional) that does not specify a version number, the server shall respond with the highest version it supports.”

So in my eyes MapProxy should respond with version 1.3.0 for GetCapabilities requests. For all other requests the VERSION parameter is mandatory.

Kind regards,

Dirk