[MapProxy] WMS default version

Anne Blankert anne.blankert at geodan.nl
Wed Jun 24 03:22:51 PDT 2015

Hello Dirk,

Hmm, I think you're right, I did not carefully look at the difference
between GetCapabilities and GetMap requests.

WMS 1.3.0 spec:
 (paragraph 6.2.4) .... In response to a GetCapabilities request (for which
the VERSION parameter is
optional) that does not specify a version number, the server shall respond
with the highest version it supports.
the server implements, the server
shall send that version.....

WMS 1.1.1 spec:
(paragraph 6.1.4)...If no version number is specified in the request, the
server shall respond with the highest
version it understands and label the response accordingly. ...

I just tried GetCapabilities on MapProxy without version and received a
version 1.1.1 capabilities document. However, MapProxy does also support
1.3.0.

I now believe you are right and the current MapProxy behaviour does not
conform to this part of the specification.

Anne