[MapProxy] Jpeg Encoding Performance

Ryan How ryan at bitworks.com.au
Wed Jun 14 22:44:50 PDT 2017

Hi Everyone,

I'm enjoying using MapProxy and it is working well for our use case.

I've been attempting to use the mixed format cache to decrease the
download size of the tiles for end clients. However I have found that
the JPEG encoding performance seems to be very slow. It takes around 8
seconds to retrieve a tile, opposed to the 200ms if it is in PNG. (The
source is in PNG).

I also seem to have this issue if I am combining 2 layers and outputting
in JPEG format.

The server has a fast CPU and plenty of memory and is running through
apache with mod_wsgi.

Is this just the type of performance that is expected if any re-encoding
needs to take place? And therefore it would be expected to perform this
while seeding, rather than on-the-fly when serving to clients?

Thanks, Ryan