[Mapserver-dev] Re: [mapserver-users] fastcgi?

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Jun 17 23:56:14 EDT 2003

Oh, I agree that there may be some benefit. Jan's patch isn't the answer
for true persistant connections. It's more of a bookeeping trick. We'd
need a true connection pool that lives outside of the mapObj context.
Doable but not for a 4.0 release. In the meantime Jan's approach works
pretty well.

Steve

Steve Lime wrote:

> In the big scheme of things reading the mapfile or loading the CGI
> is minimal compared to reading the GIS data and rendering it. So
> while there is some overhead there I can't imagine you'd save much
> time with fast-cgi...

It's funny how often you have to say that to get people to believe you
:)

On the DB side, servers with terrible connection overheads (SDE, Oracle)

could probably get some traction out of not reconnecting for each map.
Jan's patch to get rid of the per-layer overhead takes away 90% of the
problem though (10 layer DB map? That'll be 10x the connection overhead
please, sir).

Paul

--
       __