[Mapserver-dev] polygon outlines with classified layers

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Nov 26 15:57:00 EST 2003

Bart van den Eijnden wrote:

> If I have 2 classes in my LAYER, what determines whether or not the
> outline of a polygon is drawn? So I mean 1 class with outline color
> (class A), and another one without outlinecolor (class B).

It's really the class expression that determines which class is being
used. If an object matches class A then it is drawn with a fill and an
outline, otherwise it ends up in class B (assuming the expression
matches) and is drawn with no outline.

Classes really work like a switch/case statement in C, PHP and most
languages. MapServer loops through the shapefile, and for each shape it
tries to match it to a class. The first class that matches is used to
draw the shape and we're back to the beginning of the loop.

> I see in my
> map that some parts of the border of class A adjacent to a class B
> polygon are drawn with an outline/border, and other parts are not. This
> can also be seen in this image which contains more than 2 classes:
>
> http://www.vz.geodan.nl/users/bart/mapserver.png

I think it may have something to do with the order in which your shapes
are read.  If a class B polygon is drawn *after* an adjacent class A
polygon then it's possible that part (or all) of the outline border of
the class A polygon could be erased by the fill color of the class B
polygon.

If you don't want any class B polygon to erase the border of adjacent
class A polygons then you could use separate layers for class A and
class B so that class A is drawn *after* class B. You may also want to
consider sorting your shapefile so that all class B polygons come before
the class A polygons in the shapefile (I've never done that, but I think
there is a shpsort utility that comes with MapServer)

> Also is it possible, to only draw an outline when there is a
> border/transition between two classes? If I put on outline in all of my
> classes I have the problem that adjacent polygons which belong to the
> same class are drawn with an outline in between. In an ideal situation I
> would want only to have outline when there is a transition of classes.

Um... I can't think of a way to do that right now. You would almost need
to pre-merge your polygons.

Well... maybe there is something you could do, but that's really a hack
and may not work very well, you would need two layers:

1- First draw all your polygons as a line layer with a thickness of 2-3
pixels.

2- Then use a second layer to draw all your polygons again but with no
outline this time.  This will have the effect of erasing the common
borders and will erase only the 50% of the width of the outer borders.

  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca