[Mapserver-dev] Building php_mapscript without the PHP source tree

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Apr 6 23:05:11 EDT 2004

A few weeks ago we had the following exchange about being able to build
PHP MapScript using an "installed" PHP instead of the full PHP source tree:

> Daniel Morissette wrote:
>> Paul Ramsey wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there an implication here that it might be possible to compile a
>>> php version of mapscript without the php source tree now? This could
>>> make rpm'i'fication of a swig'ed php mapscript much more straightforward.
>>>

>> It should be possible to compile the current version of php_mapscript
>> without the full PHP source tree, we only need the php_config.h and the
>> Zend headers which should be available in an installed copy of PHP. It's
>> just that I never had the time to fix the configure and makefiles to
>> work that way.

It turns out that the "installed" PHP header files are exactly in the
same relative location as they are in the source tree, so I made a small
modification to the MapServer configure scripts in 4.1 CVS to be able to
compile PHP MapScript using an "installed" PHP (it still works as well
using a PHP source tree). e.g. if your PHP is installed under
/usr/local/php, then using ./configure --with-php=/usr/local/php will
work now.

I tested this with PHP 4.3.3 and would welcome more testers/feedback on
this.

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca