[Mapserver-dev] WMS and LAYERS= vs. STATUS Behaviour

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Apr 29 09:08:29 EDT 2004

Bart van den Eijnden wrote:
> I think users of Mapserver should be discouraged to use STATUS DEFAULT
> in combination with the WMS interface. The best way to discourage them
> is to provide a warning in the capabilities XML in my opinion.

Well, do we want to discourage them that badly?  There may be legitimate
uses of status default as mentioned in a previous email (for a copyright
notice or a watermark for instance), and in this case the warning could
become a real pain.

There have been discussions before about adding something to prevent
some layers from being listed/served via WMS.  Perhaps we could use this
in combination with your warning idea??? (i.e. we produce the warning
for status default, and if someone really knows what they're doing then
they can hide their layers that have status default to avoid the warning.)

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca