[Mapserver-dev] WFS interoperability issues

Rob Atkinson rob at socialchange.net.au
Wed Feb 11 21:21:09 EST 2004

Hi folk,

have been doing some interoperability testing on WFS functionality in
v4.01 and 4.1

at this stage I have been using precompiled binaries, so these comments
do refer to 4.1-dev Windoze.

4.1 is a big improvement over 4.0 - so much so I'm happy to help get the
last few glitches ironed out and start using the beast.

Here are the key issues:

1) The capabilities response offers both POST and GET - but only GET
appears to work.  This may be due to the fact I need to specify the
mapfile and there is no obvious way of doing that in the POST request. I
have searched documentation, bug lists and archives and not been able to
find how you intend to address this.

2) POST requests are returning non-XML responses - PNG images!

3) Features have no formal identifier (in GML 2 the "fid" atttribute) -
I see this is a reported bug already - but would like to stress its
importance. It is also important that "fids" can be made persistent -
they are an object identifier after all. I would suggest that the map
file syntax be extended to allow the nomination of a field to be mapped
to this.

Would appreciate any info on these matters and whether I need to fix -
would prefer to perform testing if someone else can do it.

Regards
Rob Atkinson