[Mapserver-dev] Proposal for mapscript documentation using Restructured text

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Wed Feb 18 18:05:56 EST 2004

Here is an even better example of what we can do with Restructured text:

http://users.frii.com/sgillies/examples/mapscript.html

RST is wiki-like (better than wiki!) and the source is still quite
readable
for those who want a plain text file.  There is a link at the bottom of
the
HTML page which will show the plain text RST file.

I have committed the source to the CVS head under mapscript/doc.  If
folks
like what they see and feel that the Restructured text syntax isn't too
cumbersome, I would be willing to take care of converting the
mapscript.txt
file to HTML for each release.

This approach to the documentation, IMO, satisfies the major beefs that
developers have.  It's easy to edit and maintain, has readable source,
and can generate docs with hyperlinks.  I'm certain that with a little
effort
we can come up with a DocBook writer that will satisfy MDP.

cheers,
Sean

--
Sean Gillies