[Mapserver-dev] Re: Comments on map rotation

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 26 13:30:21 EDT 2004

Sean Gillies wrote:
> Frank,
>
> My interest in the wiki has been renewed lately.  While updating my own
> information, I saw your map rotation page
>
>   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MapRotation
>
> Cool!  I took the liberty of adding a comment at the bottom that points  to
> my page for discussion of ramifications of map rotation
>
>    http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?
> MapRotationBreaksConceptOfTheMap
 >
> This is not in any way a criticism of your work or philosophy -- I am  just
> trying to get some discussion going on what is the nature of the  top-level
> map object.  Did it just morph from a Map to a View?  Or has it been a
> View all along?

Sean,

In my opinion the mapObj has always implicitly been a view - it has certainly
always control the current view extents as you zoom in or pan.  I updated the
wiki top with my position.

> I'd really like all of us to come to a consensus on it, and I think that the
> wiki could be a great place for discussion.  I'd also like to talk about it in
> a more social setting at the users meeting.

I would be happy to discuss it over beer at the MUM.  On even more important
topics (such as brace styles, and lack of file headers) I think we should work
out policy with some appropriately democratic mechanism such as foozball, arm
wrestling or a bumper car rally!

Well, at least a rousing discussion over some beer.  :-)

PS. I love the wiki, though I am not convinced it is the right place for
discussions.  I hope you don't mind my feeding this back into the -dev list.