[Mapserver-dev] Re: Comments on map rotation

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Wed May 26 22:37:42 EDT 2004

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Sean Gillies wrote:
>
>> This is not in any way a criticism of your work or philosophy -- I am
>> just
>> trying to get some discussion going on what is the nature of the
>> top-level
>> map object.  Did it just morph from a Map to a View?  Or has it been
>> a  View all along?

Does it really matter what we call it if it works and makes sense to
most people?  Sounds like a purely academic discussion to me.

Of course I could be missing the boat since my priority is to make
things work and not to build the perfect design.

> I would be happy to discuss it over beer at the MUM.  On even more
> important
> topics (such as brace styles, and lack of file headers) I think we
> should work
> out policy with some appropriately democratic mechanism such as
> foozball, arm
> wrestling or a bumper car rally!

I'm in for all of the above!  :)

And since you mention coding style, that's something we should really
work on. Compare the GDAL source to the MapServer source and you'll
understand the benefits of a simple coding style (the GDAL coding style
is very simple, about half a dozen rules, but it works).

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca