SDE raster support

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Nov 12 13:41:35 EST 2004

Pirmin Kalberer wrote:
> Dear Mapserver colleages,
> We implemented basic support for ArcSDE raster layers.
> The sources are available at:
> http://www.sourcepole.com/sources/software/mapserver/
> It was compiled and tested with SDE 8.3 and our customer is going to test it
> with SDE 9.0 in the next days.
>
> Regards
> Pirmin

Pirmin,

SDE Raster, cool!

I looked at the implementation and I would be happy enough to have the
drawSDE hook added to mapraster.c if Howard is OK with the addition(s)
to mapsde.c, and Daniel is OK with doing it before the 4.4. release.

I can imagine they both might be hesitant about a substantial addition at
this late date, in which case it might end up having to wait for integration
till post 4.4 (ie 4.5).

I notice that your version of mapsde.c does not include Howards recent
upgrades for connection pooling support.  Hopefully it won't be too hard
to bridge that gap.  In fact, you might want to consider preparing a formal
patch agaist the current development tree so your changes can be more easiliy
integrated.

I see the raster implementation was done the "old" way rather than through
GDAL.  While I can understand why this would be a more straight forward
approach, the downside is that we are trying to wean MapServer off of
non-GDAL based raster drivers. Among other things many raster features of
MapServer such as reprojecting, 24bit support and raster query currently
only work with the GDAL based modes.