Should WMS require PROJ.4?

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Mon Nov 29 01:13:54 EST 2004

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] wrote:
>>Hi Tom,
>>
>>it is optional in the DTD, but it is required according to
>>the text (in
>>the layer itself or in a parent layer).
>>
>>"Every Layer shall have exactly one <LatLonBoundingBox>
>>element that is
>>either stated
>>explicitly or inherited from a parent Layer."
>

> Correct.  I guess it's up to one's interpretation of the spec.  Perhaps
> this should be communicated to the WMS RWG.

I think the text is clear enough. It's optional in the DTD because it's
not possible (AFAIK) to document the fact that LatLonBoundingBox is
inherited from parent layers. So I don't see any problem to fix by the
WMS RWG.

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> If we become interested
> in really minimalist MapServer deployments we could look
> into supporting a MapServer WMS without PROJ.4.   But I
> see that as a low value effort.

Very low value indeed... I'd say you forget that you ever thought about
that.  ;)

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca