[Mapserver-dev] IMPORTANT - host site for mapserver-dev to change

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan at intevation.de
Wed Oct 20 01:36:09 EDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 12:25:12PM -0500, Thomas E Burk wrote:
> You will soon need to resubscribe to this mailing list to continue your
> participation.

Why don't you mass-subscribe those who are already on this list?

> On October 31, 2004 at 22:00 (10:00PM) U.S. Central Daylight time (GMT -5:00)
> we will close down the existing mapserver-dev (at lists.gis.umn.edu) e-mail
> list. If you wish to continue participating on the list you will need to
> resubscribe. You can do that _after October 31, 2004_ by going to
> <http://lists.umn.edu/archives/mapserver-dev.html>. At that time there will be
> a link to 'Join or leave the list' where you can fill out a form.
>
> The new list will be run by a group which offers listserv capability as part
> of their mission. It should be a positive change.
>
> One major change we are making is to restrict access to the archives; the new
> archives will only be accessible to subscribers via a login. The first time
> you use the archives (search or browse) you will be asked to setup a password.
> You must use the same login e-mail that you subscribed to the list with --
> only list members can view or search the archives. The is a 'no mail'
> subscription option for people who don't want e-mail sent to them (only wish
> to use the archive). Initially the old (which will still be available) and new
> archives WILL NOT be a single archive. That will change (as will access).

I regard this a very bad idea. Search engines will not be able anymore
to deliver results for the mapserver archives.

What is the rationale behind resticting the access to the mailing list
knowledge base? IMHO it would be a hurdle for the new users.

Best

	Jan
--
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/