MapServer and ECW

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Tue Jun 28 11:47:03 EDT 2005

This question is probably more for Frank, but I am interested in
feedback from anyone else who has played with MapServer and ECW on Linux
already...

We've just gone through a painful experience trying to get MapServer to
work with MrSid files via GDAL on Linux a few weeks ago. Initially we
suspected corrupted data files because some of them worked and some
didn't, but it turned out that there were some recent fixes in the GDAL
CVS that we didn't have. Rebuilding with the latest GDAL from CVS did
the trick.

Now that ER-Mapper has modified its license to allow use of the ECW SDK
with open source server software such as MapServer, we need to get
Mapserver working with ECW on one of our client's servers. However,
before we go through the same experience as for MrSid, I'd like to know
if anyone else has tested/used MapServer with ECW files on Linux? Are
there specific requirements (GDAL version, DSDK version, etc.)? Anything
else we should know about?

Thanks

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca