5.0 Release Plan

Pericles S. Nacionales naci0002 at UMN.EDU
Tue Aug 1 10:39:41 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 01 August 2006 08:36, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Steve Lime wrote:
> > Hi all: I'm wondering if it might make sense to start talking about a
> > 5.0 release plan? It would be nice to at least have a good idea of what
> > will be included before the conference in Sept so that we can discuss
> > with users etc... There are several RFCs out there with an unknown
> > status (e.g. dynamic array allocation, C unit tests) and a few other
> > things (e.g. internationalization) that are still hanging.
>
> Steve,
>
> I think we will need to treat dynamic array allocation as deferred.
> I don't see myself getting this RFC updated, reissued and implemented
> in time for a pre-conf release at this point.

Frank,

I don't think Steve is thinking of releasing a 5.0 in September.  Rather he's
trying to make a list of what should be included before we call a release
version 5.0.

So, I see everything he listed as necessary changes for 5.0.  I also agree
with Jeff M. that a second/alternate rendering engine be included.  Or at the
very least provide a mechanism to easily add/plug alternative renderer/s in
the future.

Steve, are you targeting a 5.0 release by the end of the year or further down
the road?

How about we set an irc meeting to discuss this topic in the next few days?

-Perry