msLayerOpen and msLayerClose

Howard Butler hobu at IASTATE.EDU
Tue Jun 6 10:21:00 EDT 2006

All,

With connection pooling in place for drivers with heavy connection
costs, it is imperative that we make sure that each msLayerOpen has a
matching msLayerClose.  I found one instance in mapogcfilter.c where
this wasn't the case, and it was causing the pooling stuff to
complain about freeing connections where there was still a reference
in effect.

Looking through the code, I noticed many instances where we could
have return paths that don't close the layer.  This idiom seems to be
very common:

     status = msLayerOpen(tlp);
     if(status != MS_SUCCESS) return(MS_FAILURE);

     status = do_some_other_operation();
     if(status != MS_SUCCESS) return(MS_FAILURE);

In this instance, the layer would not be closed if
do_some_other_operation() fails.  In some cases this appears to be a
catastrophic failure and not closing the layer at this point isn't a
problem.  In others, it appears this could be a signal to go
somewhere else.  It is the second scenario that concerns me.

In addition, for some drivers, opening and closing the layer many
times can have significant overhead.  Would it be beneficial to have
a create/delete pair that actually does the construction/destruction
of a layer?  Could we somehow ensure that this only happens once
through the life cycle of a mapObj (or explicitly created/destroyed
through MapScript)?  Would this improve the situation at all or just
push the problem somewhere else?

Thoughts, concerns, cheers, and jeers welcomed.

Howard