server-side SLD support

Paul Spencer pspencer at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Thu Nov 2 08:57:14 EST 2006

Bart, I think a quick summary would be in order.  From what I have
read, the options seem to be as follows (please feel free to add
other options and elaborate on the pros and cons):

1. do not include SLD when saving the map file (the generated classes
would be saved normally)

Pros:

  - implementation is straight forward
  - there are no side effects for existing applications and frameworks

Cons:

  - lose the original structure of the map file

2. include SLD when saving the map file (do not save the generated
classes)

Pros:

  - maintain original structure of map file

Cons:

  - what to do with classes altered through mapscript
  - unintended side effects if remote (url) SLD changes during a
user's session

Cheers

Paul