MapServer Sponsorship

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Aug 29 15:12:51 EDT 2007

Folks,

In followup to the sponsorship issue, one issue that arises is whether
there are developers interested in a modestly paid "maintainer" position
working on MapServer.  Imagine pay in the range $15USD to $30USD per hour,
either part time (say 20 hours per week) or full time but for a limited
contracting period (perhaps a four month stint or something).

I quite recognise that these are very modest pay rates by western
"consulting" standards - and I'm not thinking of being able to put an
experienced and successful consultant in this position.  Instead it might
be a good role for a developer new grad in a high wage country that
wants some "baseline" work with visibility benefits or a skilled developer
in a country with more modest typical wages.

Keep in mind the work would not be "long term dependable".  It would ebb
and flow with the availability of sponsorship, and of course with the PSC's
priorities.

Feel free to email me privately if this sort of thing is of interest, but
you aren't comfortable emailing about it on the list.  Feel free to ask this
questions of other developers you think might be interested and good candidates
within these constraints.

In particular, we would (presumably) be looking for:
  o good c/c++ skills
  o some familiarity with MapServer and geospatial applications.
  o ability to work independently.
  o own office space, computer and internet access.
  o reasonable written english skills

Note that this particular question is a cart running before the horse
since we don't have any funding, agreement on paid maintainers or a
sponsorship program.  It is an attempt to determine if there would
even be reasonable candidates to justify such an effort.