agg changes

Paul Spencer pspencer at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Thu Aug 30 09:50:44 EDT 2007

Steve,

I'd like to suggest defering cartographic enhancements (by which I
mean additional keywords in the map file to specify more advanced
cartographic options) until post 5.0.  I think, since you are moving
from 4.x to 5.x and *can* make some changes that are not necessarily
backwards compatible, that you should consider removing things from
the mapfile at this point that don't work or won't be supported in
order to establish a minimum baseline which the 5.x series can build
on by adding new features without having to make an incompatible
change in the next version.  Essentially, I am advocating stripping
out as much as possible/practical, and then adding new stuff post 5.0.

Looking forward to 5.2, I think it would be really beneficial to
start a dialog with the user community on cartographic needs and try
to establish a set of requirements that can be built towards in the
5.x series.  I know that MapGuide has implemented point and line
support for a massive USGS cartographic standard and has some very
impressive demos of the new cartography.  There is also a large
document describing the cartographic needs of the Canadian national
dataset folks.  There are probably other 'standards' out there too.

AGG has given mapserver an excellent foundation to build on for
premium cartography, and I think it would be a mistake to leave stuff
in mapserver 5.0 that we may regret post 5.0.

Cheers

Paul