Documenting the breaking changes

Tue Jun 5 07:16:55 EDT 2007

Tamas Szekeres wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I think it takes a fair amount of work to document the backward
> incompatible changes between the 4.10 and the upcoming 5.0 release so
> it worth starting this effort in time. Recall that we have a
> MIGRATION_GUIDE.TXT in the project tree to enumerate these changes in
> a convenient way.

Oopps... I had forgotten that we had a MIGRATION_GUIDE.TXT in the source
tree. I had already started a 4.10 -> 5.0 migration guide in the website at:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/release_plans/migration_guide_410_50/

> May I suppose that we would want to continue this documentation or we
> should open up a brand new one?

Perhaps the best would be to flush the current contents of
MIGRATION_GUIDE.TXT and start fresh (in the same file) with the 4.10 ->
5.0 migration guide.

We could also perhaps keep the 4.8->4.10 stuff at the end of the file,
but then the file would become quite large and that could confuse users.

Either way, I think we need to make an effort to keep the
MIGRATION_GUIDE.TXT from the source tree and the website page at the URL
above in sync. The MIGRATION_GUIDE.TXT in SVN should be considered the
master and the website version just a copy, so any change needs to be
made to the master in SVN first. A note to that effect could be added in
the website copy.

My 0.02$

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/