Thoughts on a mapserver-config script...

Umberto Nicoletti umberto.nicoletti at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 7 02:52:40 EDT 2007

On 6/6/07, Tamas Szekeres <szekerest at gmail.com> wrote:
> Umberto,
>
> Isn't that Daniel's comments at
> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/1884 may be relevant to this
> demand?

Yes they are.
My point is that some laguages like perl, python and ruby do not have
makefiles and at the moment they resort to reading the mapscriptvars
file, while java and csharp do have a Makefile and if mapserver-config
could have an option to just output the same defines that go into
mapscriptvars we could think of a way of unifying the whole process.

The mapserver-config could even do something as simple as:

head -2 < mapscriptvars | tail -1

to get the needed swig defines. Of course if mapserver-config is to be
installed somewhere like /usr/local it must know where to find the
mapscriptvars file.
The alternative is to add the substitution of ALL_ENABLED like
suggested in #1884.

This also raises the question if mapscriptvars is still needed and if
mapserver-config should replace it.

Umberto