[RFC-24] USE_MAPSCRIPT configure flag

Umberto Nicoletti umberto.nicoletti at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 23 11:26:41 EDT 2007

On 5/23/07, Tamas Szekeres <szekerest at gmail.com> wrote:
> Umberto,
>
> As far as I can see those changes are mostly related to encapsulate
> the refcount related code between #ifdef USE_MAPSCRIPT which is quite
> acceptable by me. However I couldn't follow the changes related to
> mapparser.h (it might be correct though).

Tamas,
probably mapparser.h is regenerated by bison at every compile and
that's how it got into the the patch. I have removed configure and
mapparser.c by hand, I probably missed this one.

> The main issue is that the default option is 'not using mapscript'
> that might be a problem for some of the existing projects, however I
> can eventually live with this change and modify the buildbot settings
> accordingly. Wouldn't it be feasible to enable this option by default?
> Aren't the RFC-24 changes beneficial for the mapserver cgi app and the
> related tools?

The cgi app does not need rfc24 because it does not add dynamically
layers at runtime (except for the special cases of the legend and
scalebar), and to keep the cgi running at the highest speed possible
rfc24 adopts the special USE_MAPSCRIPT flag to remove the unneeded
reference counting.
Anyway, the cgi compiled with USE_MAPSCRIPT works exactly like before,
maybe a bit slower.

I have no objections on enabling mapscript by default if most of us agree.

> This option should also be added to the windows makefiles through nmake.opt.

I'll look into it, even though I have no experience with Visual Studio.

> Is the RFC-24 complete with these changes? How about '3.6 Always give
> object ownership to SWIG' for example?

RFC-24 should be done with regard to the objects marked so in the
tracking tables at the end of the rfc.

Regards,
Umberto