Motion: Include MS SQL Server 2008 Native Driver in 5.2

Howard Butler hobu.inc at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 12 21:19:59 EST 2007

On Nov 12, 2007, at 6:21 PM, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:

> Howard Butler wrote:
>> On Nov 12, 2007, at 5:30 PM, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
>>> Does this need an RFC?
>> I don't think so.  It is only new functionality, does not affect
>> core functionality, and has no backward compatibility issues.
>>> are there any mapfile changes, documentation changes, autotest
>>> files, howtos (already mentioned the vector howto, how about the
>>> build howtos, others?), are there mapscript implications.
>> No to all of these.  Build configuration info will continue to be
>> in nmake.opt as it is for all other drivers.  We don't maintain
>> database instances for any of the other drivers for the autotest
>> suite.  MapScript will continue to see it like it does any other
>> driver.
>> Howard
>
> OK, now I'm very confused! How does someone access this data source
> if nothing changes? There at least needs to be a new CONNECTION and/
> or CONNECTIONTYPE doesn't there?

No.  The driver will only be accessible via the CONNECTIONTYPE PLUGIN http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-3/
  One great advantage of the plugin architecture is that it eliminates
the need for us to embed new connection types in MapServer and
conditionally compile lots of different things in depending on which
switches are turned on.

> There probably needs to be a bug to track the change and address
> questions like these.

There will be a bug # and HISTORY.TXT changes to track these
developments...

Howard