OWS Capabilities Metadata and WCS

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Mon Oct 29 12:20:19 EDT 2007

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Sounds good!  Correct, mapowscommon.c is to be reused by calling standards,
> like WCS 1.1.0, WFS 1.1.0.  mapogcsos.c is an example of integration for SOS
> 1.0.0.  Your WCS 1.1.0 upgrade is another perfect example.  You'll see that
> using libxml2 makes things much easier for XML output.
>
> As well, I've made some small notes at:
> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/UsingMapOWSCommon

Tom,

Thanks, I'll review that.

> Other questions:
>
> - mapwcs.c uses msIO_printf.  How are you going to support WCS 1.1.0, which
> uses libxml2?  This is going to be a recurring question as more OGC
> standards support OWS Common, and that mapowscommon.c uses libxml2 to build
> the XML constructs.

The WCS 1.1 capabilities document is almost entirely different than 1.0, so
I'm likely going to have to just have duplicate code (using libxml2) for
the 1.1.x case.

> - currently, mapowscommon.c is wrapped in #ifdef USE_SOS_SVR.  We'll want to
> make this more generic (USE_OWSCOMMON or USE_LIBXML2, suggestions?)

Yes, I'll try and address generalization of configuration options once
the core operations are working.  I also plan to introduce a WCS 1.1
RFC before committing my work. Hopefully by then I'll have a better
concept of the issues involved.

> Let me know how things go.  I can help test, etc.  Comments on
> mapowscommon.c are valued if possible.

Will do.  The second use of a facility is always the test of it's
generality. :-)  And thanks for the nice start on the ows common stuff.