[mapserver-dev] Documentation updates

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Mar 6 10:33:35 EST 2008

Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Daniel Morissette wrote:
>> Having to flag specific paragraphs from the
>> docs with versions to which they apply is a mess to read and to
>> maintain in my opinion.
>>

> I totally disagree.  Having been that maintainer through the "Blue" site
> and the new one I'd much rather include notes inside the one doc than
> maintain several versions of that doc (and yes, even when you "branch" I
> found myself editing 2 versions of that same doc, such as the "dev"
> version and the latest release version).
>
> And lets not forget about one important person: THE USER.  Having
> several versions of the doc is terribly confusing to the user.  I saw it
> over many years with the blue site.  Heck if i'm confused over it a new
> user would be for sure.
>
> So if the maintainers and the users want one doc, let's have one doc.

+1 on a single doc.

PHP and MySQL do this and it is very easy to read and understand.

Postgresql has a Doc for each Release, but I think this is just the
single doc snapshot at that point in time and that doc has version info
as to effectivity of individual features and options.

I'm sure other will have opinions to the contrary :)

-Steve W