[mapserver-dev] What version of Microsoft Tools?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Mar 19 17:41:49 EDT 2008

Brent,

Thank you for your help and educational response.

Brent Fraser wrote:
> Steve,
>
>   Likely the most commonly used Microsoft tool is Visual
> Studio .Net 2003 IDE (which contains Visual C++ v7.1
> compiler), but I doubt if you can still get it.  VS 2005
> (contains VC++ v8) is available, and perhaps VS 2008 will be
> soon (there's a 90 day trial of it available).  And of
> course these are commercial products.  If you go this route,
> you may want to look into an MSDN subscription (or joining
> Microsoft's Empower program), especially if you have to
> build-for / test / support the many versions of Windows.
> Vista may have some additional compiler requirements (I'm
> hoping that version of Windows will disappear soon!), as
> would Windows Mobile.

I think that mostly I just want to setup a working environment that will
allow me to occasionally build stuff, but for the most part, I am
dis-inclined to learn more than I absolutely have to, to get the job done.

>   Microsoft does have a free compiler, Visual C++ Express
> Edition (http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/) But I've
> never tried it.  And I think you'll need to download the
> Windows Platform SDK to do anything useful.

OK, this is interesting. Has anyone compiled mapserver using this? Can
you provide details?

Thanks,
   -Steve W