[mapserver-dev] What version of Microsoft Tools?

Andreas Albarello andreas.albarello at territoriumonline.com
Wed Mar 19 18:10:58 EDT 2008

On 19 Mar 2008, at 22:41, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:

>>  Microsoft does have a free compiler, Visual C++ Express
>> Edition (http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/) But I've
>> never tried it.  And I think you'll need to download the
>> Windows Platform SDK to do anything useful.
>
> OK, this is interesting. Has anyone compiled mapserver using this?
> Can you provide details?

Steve,

Yes, I have done so. Actually, I use VC++ 2005 Express exclusively,
and it has always worked a treat for everything. It comes with the
fully functioning command line compiler of all the professional
versions of VC++; just the IDE is somewhat crippled, but you are most
likely going to use makefiles only, so you don't need that. Still, the
IDE works fine for debugging of libraries and console applications,
and the debugger is great. What's missing is mainly all the GUI stuff
and such and all of the fancy wizards. OTOH, you'll need to build the
IDE projects yourself (which you'll need in order to be able to use
the debugger) as more often than not a makefile is all you'll find
inside the source tarball.

Brent is right, you need to download the free Platform SDK (couple of
100 megs) which contains all the headers and libraries (VC++ Express
ships with a small subset only). By installing that, you get a .bat
file (SetEnv.bat) inside %Program Files%\Microsoft Platform SDK which
you can run from the compiling console (a standard console with the
needed environment vars and paths) to add all the SDK paths to the
compiler (something like "SetEnv.bat /XP32 /RETAIL" oder "/DEBUG", for
that matter). Then you simply run "nmake /f makefile.vc" and you're
all set.

Other than that, well, it's just as easy as compiling on Linux once
you've set up everything. Downloading all dependant libraries (gd,
gdal etc.), manually configuring all the corresponding makefiles and
nmake opt files, etc. can be a lot of work needed to get you started,
though.

HTH.

Andreas Albarello
Analysis & SW Development

Territorium Online srl/GmbH
Via Buozzi/Buozzistraße 12 - I 39100 Bolzano/Bozen
email: andreas.albarello at territoriumonline.com
web:   www.territoriumonline.com