[mapserver-dev] What version of Microsoft Tools?

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Wed Mar 19 16:24:15 EDT 2008

Steve,

  Likely the most commonly used Microsoft tool is Visual
Studio .Net 2003 IDE (which contains Visual C++ v7.1
compiler), but I doubt if you can still get it.  VS 2005
(contains VC++ v8) is available, and perhaps VS 2008 will be
soon (there's a 90 day trial of it available).  And of
course these are commercial products.  If you go this route,
you may want to look into an MSDN subscription (or joining
Microsoft's Empower program), especially if you have to
build-for / test / support the many versions of Windows.
Vista may have some additional compiler requirements (I'm
hoping that version of Windows will disappear soon!), as
would Windows Mobile.

  Microsoft does have a free compiler, Visual C++ Express
Edition (http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/) But I've
never tried it.  And I think you'll need to download the
Windows Platform SDK to do anything useful.

As for Open Source tools, I too would be interested in
knowing what works.  Is there a good IDE for debugging out
there?

Brent Fraser
GeoAnalytic Inc.
Calgary, Alberta