[mapserver-dev] More Performance

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon May 12 15:28:24 EDT 2008

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> Among the things Shark tells me is that the epsg configuration file
> remains the biggest (avoidable, but non-obvious) performance issue,
> potentially hogging huge amounts of resources, since the projections
> are loaded even for layers that aren't being rendered.  Even worse,
> it's a performance issue that fcgi doesn't fix, since the loading
> happens in msLoadMap.

FYI I started discussing a solution for this in ticket #1976, I was
thinking of caching the EPSG table directly inside PROJ, and suggested
two options in this thread
http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/proj/2007-August/003002.html

Then things stalled there... I'd like to hear more feedback from the
mapserver-dev group on the proposed solution and which of the two
proposed options is preferred. Once we have consensus from this group
then I'll make a formal change proposal on the PROJ list.

> Another thing Shark tells me is that we are burning resources in
> curl_global_init (called from msHTTPInit via msHTTPInitRequestObj)
> even when there are no WMS or WFS layers defined.  This is eating
> about 5% of the total cycles, on a fairly well-tuned map file, and
> could be fixed.

I just created a ticket and will work on that one now:

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/