[mapserver-dev] FW: MapServer enhancements/refactoring project

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Wed Apr 1 16:52:49 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Kralidis,Tom [Ontario]
<Tom.Kralidis at ec.gc.ca> wrote:
>> Daniel Morissette
>> Sent: Wednesday, 01 April 2009 16:20
>> Subject: Re: [mapserver-dev] FW: MapServer
>> enhancements/refactoring project
>>
>> Then the MapServer Enterprise gets its real meaning!
>> Hoping that you'll see the light soon.
>
> I think this would call for a complete analysis of cost/return on
> investment on a change like this.  And what the problems are (in detail)
> that are driving this proposal.

Sometimes it's not problems that drive things, it's plain old money. I
said it before, and I'll say it again (because I really like saying
it): rebuilding Mapserver in Java is like tearing down Notre Dame and
rebuilding it in Jello.  By extension, wrapping the Mapserver core in
Java is like wrapping Notre Dame in Jello.

Re-factoring only leads to tears. Porting leads to suicide pacts.
Let's not go there.