[mapserver-dev] [Support for reading SVG symbols-MapServer-GSoC] Kiran Anjaneya Varma

kiran varma kiran.varma2k7 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 09:09:47 EDT 2009

Hello everyone,
I am applying for the *MapServer* project for the *Google Summer of Code
2009* Programme.

I am planning to contribute on the* SVG* symbols support in Mapserver.I am
very much interested in this field.

I am always fasinated by google earth. Look your self on the map excites
very much. I wanted to know how exactly all these things work. Then I came
across the book GIS for web developers. It gives every thing one need to
know to start working with GIS applications. It gives what are the formats
available to represent the data, where to download load the free data
from, how this geospatial data is stored in databases like PostGIS, what are
the open source softwares available, how to integrate them. I see more
potential for growth in this area. I would like to pursue my carear in GIS.
I would like to contribute some thing to this. Being new to this area I
would like to choose KML or SVG since it does not involve too many concepts
related to GIS and should be a good start. I do not know much about SVG I
would like to consider that too.Though i have less idea about the API's
expecting for the SVG support, Iam sure i can do this project succesfully
with some help.

I can also teach myself all the other requirements for the project during
the "bonding" time(April 20 to May 15(coding begins))
I love the oppurtunity to work on Mapserver as part of GSoC 2009

I look forward to working with you over the summer!
Thanks,regards
Kiran Anjaneya Varma