[mapserver-dev] PROJ4 and EPSG database

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed Feb 11 08:14:13 EST 2009

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Heck, you
> could write a simple hack rule for Mapserver that says "all lonlat and
> these 12 planar projections are swapped" and cover all reasonable use
> cases.

That's what was done for WCS and we're going to do as well for the first
implementation of WMS 1.3.0 in MS 5.4 (basically assume all EPSG codes
in the 4000-4999 range are swapped), but it would be nice to have a
proper solution instead of hardcoding exceptions in the code.

As you and others wrote, we could possibly centralize lots of SRS
knowledge in such a lib, but that could be for a later phase. In the
first phase I'd like to just handle the most pressing needs: optimized
EPSG code lookups, and ability to lookup additional information such as
axis order.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/