[mapserver-dev] LAYER EXTENT

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Thu Jun 4 13:24:44 EDT 2009

I see we have an EXTENT keyword under LAYER, but poking around the
code, layerObj->extent is not used very much.

I have a client request to use LAYER EXTENT as a processing short
circuit, so that layers whose extent does not intersect the map extent
can be quickly skipped (probably at the point where msLayerIsVisible()
is called).

First, does this feel RFC worthy? (My feeling is "no", it's just an
enhancement of existing behavior)
Second, what are the expected semantics of the coordinates in LAYER
EXTENT. Are they in the LAYER projection or the MAP projection? (My
feeling is, LAYER).

Thanks,

Paul