[mapserver-dev] PostGIS "curvepolygon" support

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Mon Nov 8 09:13:50 EST 2010

Astrid,

It would make sense to generally handle the curvey types in the run,
including the compoundcurve and circularstring as forms of mapserver
LINE types. I think your thread suggestion is correct (perhaps?) in
that it would be "simplest" to just paper over the curve types in the
postgis driver. This is in fact what is happening (sort of) in the
Oracle driver already.

The papering-over could take two forms.

(a) We could change the SQL being send to PostGIS to ensure that
curves are stroked (turned into equivalent linestrings) on the
database side.
(b) Or we could extract the stroking routines that have already been
written in the Oracle driver to a globally accessible area, genericize
them a little, and use them to stroke PostGIS curves in the MapServer
code.

The advantage of (b) is that the stroking routines would then be
generically available to any other driver that needs to stroke curves.
It would be a little more work than hacking up the SQL generated by
the PostGIS driver to get the server to do the work of stroking.

Does anyone else have interest in this issue?

Paul