[mapserver-dev] Proposal to add built-in OpenLayers map viewer

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Sep 24 15:49:15 EDT 2010

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> Does that not maybe lead to something more like
> "mode=browse&template=openlayers" instead? Openlayers being a default
> built-in template, but leaving the option to add other built-ins for
> other frameworks?

The openlayers template would be just a couple of lines so it would not
be bloating the executable too much, but I'd be worried if we open that
door that down the road we could end up bloating the executable with a
bunch of (larger) templates for other frameworks, most of them rarely used.

I was just trying to provide a __simple__ way to preview, test and
navigate a mapfile with MapServer, and it seems to me that supporting
multiple frameworks is going quite a bit further, opening the door to
enabling/disabling features specific of each framework, etc... and if we
want to go there we might as well just ship a library (directory) of
generic templates for all sorts of functions, but this does not require
any change to the software, the framework developers can already do that
on their own today, can't they?

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/