[mapserver-dev] MS RFC 68: Support for combining features from multiple layers (Updated)

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Feb 24 10:54:28 EST 2011

Hi Tamas,

I really like the current version of RFC-68. This is a feature that I
wish we had implemented a while ago.

Just one quick question on terminology, why did you choose to use
"CONNECTIONTYPE COMBINE" instead of possibly "CONNECTIONTYPE UNION"?
I'm asking this since the term "combine" led to confusion in the initial
RFC-68 discussions a few weeks ago and the term "union" seemed better
for everyone. Perhaps Jeff and other people closer to the users can
comment on the best term to use?

Daniel

On 11-02-19 05:45 PM, Tamas Szekeres wrote:
> Dear PSC,
>
> Thanks for all who provided feedback to the initial version of MS RFC 68
> <http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-68.html>. I've now modified
> the concept in some way, which yields a more straightforward solution to
> the requirements. I've created two RFCs instead of one by separating the
> combination and the clustering option as 2 distinct problems which could
> in fact be implemented separately. The clustering stuff has been
> stripped from MS RFC 68
> <http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-68.html>.
> I've also added a working implementation of this the new data provider
> to the corresponding ticket
> <http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/3674>, see mapcombine.c
> <http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/attachment/ticket/3674/mapcombine.c>
> for the details.
>
> Let me know if you find further issues related to this concept. If no
> singnificant problems encountered I'll motion to adopt this probably in
> the next week.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Tamas

Daniel Morissette