[mapserver-dev] Documentation Question

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Fri Jul 22 10:23:43 EDT 2011

All,

Wouldn't it be easiest to just make a version stamped copy of documentation whenever a release goes out the door?  Then just keep editing the main documentation.  The biggest piece then is just removing deprecated stuff on a schedule I would think.

It might make some sense to also make a function -> version matrix at some point as well as a quick reference.  I've had occasion to wonder when a function made it's way into the product and at what version.  We regularly have had multiple versions in production at once for example.  This would also quickly show the stuff removed and when, and even be a good spot to show where replacement functions took effect (which recently happened in some areas.)

bobb

>>> Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> wrote:

Hi Steve,

My position is that the doc contents should contain references to the
MapServer version that the feature applies to.  So yes we should
maintain backwards compatibility.  For example, /mapfile/expressions.txt
could be separated into "MapServer 6.0 Expressions" and "MapServer 5
Expressions" sections.  I would argue that this is much easier to
maintain, and makes more sense to a user.  It does ask doc contributors
and developers to specifically mention the MapServer version when they
are documenting though.  I'll give an example of what I mean:

Let's say I am a mapscript dev and I add a function to a mapscript.
Then I'd go to its doc (meaning: in trunk and also in
branch-whatever-is-live-on-web, because a user wants to know what is
available) and add:

GetXXX
   Added in MapServer version 6.2, this function gets the...

I hope this helps clarify my position.

-jeff