[mapserver-dev] Support for upgrading map files between version changes

Lime, Steve D (DNR) Steve.Lime at state.mn.us
Thu Apr 26 12:45:19 EDT 2012

Man, a tough one. I could see a script that could operate within two sequential versions, but something that operates on arbitrary versions seems like
a lot of work. How big a problem do folks think this is?

Another way to tackle this might be to have a tool that doesn’t necessarily do the conversion but reports errors for an entire mapfile. That is, you could
submit a mapfile from any version to the tool that ships with the target version and get an exception report. Right now you have to tackle errors
sequentially using shp2img or something like that- a painful process. If a user could get a complete report then they could handle the conversion as
necessary by writing their own scripts… We’d need a syntax checker that didn’t load underlying structures but did report errors.

Steve