[mapserver-dev] Motion: change default POSITION AUTO labelling order for point layers

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Mar 18 06:12:41 PDT 2012

The idea that I was trying to get across is the we have the current auto
position list that is global. You are proposing a change to a new auto
position list that is also global. So why not support both lists
globally via a CONFIG keyword to select the old one if the default list
is the new one, or vica versa.

This is easier than a patch for users that might need the old behavior
and do not have the ability to compile like on Windows.

I agree that long term this should be done at the label level. I was
only trying to think of a simple way around the objections.

Thanks,
   -Steve

On 3/18/2012 6:28 AM, thomas bonfort wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Adding this at the global level would not be particularly difficult to
> implement, we'd just need to read these positions at the beginning of
> the labelcache phase. However, I believe that such a customization
> should be done at the label level, as the need to override the
> accepted "best" positioning order would only need to be applied on a
> very specific label layer.
>
> --
> thomas
>
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 20:34, Stephen Woodbridge
> <woodbri at swoodbridge.com>  wrote:
>> I have no idea what it would take to do something like this, but what do you
>> think about adding a CONFIG "USE_ALT_LABEL_POSITION_AUTO=yes" or something
>> like this in the mapfile as a global switch to an alternate hardcoded list
>> of positions. Then by default you get the current positioning or select this
>> in the mapfile to get the new positioning order. Assuming that it is easy to
>> grab these config values, it is just an if block to reset the order on
>> startup. I'm not sure if "startup" implies, reading the mapfile, or CGI or
>> FastCGI, or apache module startup. Hopefully it is easy to init when the
>> mapfile is read.
>>
>> -Steve W
>>

>> On 3/16/2012 1:42 PM, thomas bonfort wrote:
>>>
>>> Patches graciously accepted :)
>>> I personally have no incentive in implementing configurable positioning
>>> as a hardcoded
>>>
>>> 6 1 5
>>> 4 X 3