[mapserver-dev] move to github ?

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 11:41:48 PDT 2012

Speaking as the last proponent of moving our revision control system from one tool to another...

* I have moved all of my projects to github (PDAL, libLAS, libspatialindex, Rtree). I pay for private hosting on github for other project work.
* It's easy to use git like we use subversion, except when you don't want to. Not the other way.
* OSGeo can provide git but it's not really used right now http://git.osgeo.org/
* The thing that makes github great is not simply git. It's the pull requests.  It's ticket system is about par with Trac for most things. Searching is better than Trac, and it's net/net way more responsive. Bugzilla fanboys will still hate it :)
* A movement from svn+trac -> github for MapServer must preserve the ticket and changeset history that's been built up. This would be a ton of work for someone.
* Is github the next Sourceforge?
* As Thomas has said, I would not go back to trac+svn.

Those wanting to move to github would have to demonstrate ingesting trac -> github as a bare minimum starting point, I think.  I did CVS/Bugzilla -> Trac+svn, and I'm not volunteering for this generation's revision control churn :)

Howard