[mapserver-dev] Label positioning around points

Havard Tveite havard.tveite at umb.no
Sun Sep 23 02:19:36 PDT 2012

I appreciate this solution.  Changing default behaviour for
AUTO can wait.

I am very sorry that I missed Steve W's email in February (and
the resulting issue).
I should have contributed, but I seem to remember that
February was rather busy, so it is likely that I did some bad
filtering...

For the future, I think that we need to change the default
AUTO priorities.  The safe route would be to follow the
classical texts on cartography (e.g. Robinson: "Elements of
Cartography", first edition in 1954, 6th edition in 1995).
Mapserver 6.0 places UR quite low on the priority list, and
that is a problem.  Having UR as top priority would probably
have helped for the rendering example used in issue 4249.

I can see that Thomas has reopened issue 4249.  I have
included my input there.

Håvard