[mapserver-dev] MapServer 6.4.0-beta1 release - Please test!

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 07:28:18 PDT 2013

The MapServer Team is pleased to announce the release of MapServer
6.4.0-beta1. This is the first beta on our way to a final 6.4 release,
that we are targeting for mid-September before FOSS4G.

This new release introduces a number of new functionalities and a
major change to the build system, using cmake instead of the previous
autoconf. The INSTALL.CMAKE file
(https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/blob/rel-6-4-0-beta1/INSTALL.CMAKE)
should get you started, please bring up any issues you may have if
those instructions need expanding.

Here is a quick list of RFCs documenting some of the new features or
important changes in 6.4.

- RFC100: Add support for raster tile index with tiles of mixed SRS
(TILESRS keyword)
- RFC94: Shape Smoothing
- RFC95 : add EXPRESSION {value1,value2,...} support to parser (#4648)
- RFC92: Migration from autotools to cmake (#4617)
- RFC88: Saving MapServer Objects to Strings (#4563)
- RFC90: Enable/Disable Layers in OGC Web Services by IP Lists
- RFC85,89 Added Simplify,SimplityPT and Generalize geomtransform,
implementation of geomtransform at the layer level
- RFC86: Scale-dependant token replacements (#4538)
- Fix symbol scaling for vector symbols with no height (#4497,#3511)
- Implementation of layer masking for WCS coverages (#4469)
- Implementation of offsets on follow labels (#4399)

(RFCs are available online at http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/)

The complete changelog is available at
http://mapserver.org/development/changelog/changelog-6-4.html

We have started working on a 6.2 -> 6.4 migration guide. This document
contains important notes on backwards incompatibilities or other
changes required when upgrading to 6.4.

http://www.mapserver.org/trunk/MIGRATION_GUIDE.html

The source for this release can be downloaded at:

    http://mapserver.org/download.html
or
    http://download.osgeo.org/mapserver/mapserver-6.4.0-beta1.tar.gz

The binary distributions listed in the download page should be updated
with binaries for the new 6.4.0-beta1 release in the next day or so.

Once again we need your help to ensure a high quality product, so
please help out by testing your applications with this new code base.

Thanks! - The MapServer Team