[mapserver-dev] Show of hands for 6.4 Release

Lime, Steve D (MNIT) Steve.Lime at state.mn.us
Fri May 17 07:21:46 PDT 2013

I'm ok with that decision on 6.4.

Let me get a little further before publishing a branch, all drivers need a skeletal filter translation API function added to maintain backwards compatibity. If a driver doesn't support filter translation then it falls to MapServer execute it. That way a driver could choose to address only high-value cases.


From: thomas bonfort [thomas.bonfort at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2013 3:41 AM
To: Lime, Steve D (MNIT)
Cc: MapServer Dev Mailing List
Subject: Re: [mapserver-dev] Show of hands for 6.4 Release

I'd be more comfortable with a 6.4 release as it stands now, i.e. with a low risk of backwards incompatibility, in order to be sure to push out something stable sooner rather than later. We could aim for a 7.0 with rfc91, utfgrids, harfbuzz and Daniel's symbology changes after that, as all of those are more involved.
Concerning rfc91, can updated drivers live alongside others that haven't yet been modified? Can you publish a branch with the current state?


On 16 May 2013 18:34, Lime, Steve D (MNIT) <Steve.Lime at state.mn.us<mailto:Steve.Lime at state.mn.us>> wrote:
If RFC91 is included I’d prefer late July for a feature freeze. I do have some code for shapefiles and PostGIS working and it should be backwards compatible. However it could be prone to more bugs than we might like in a mid-version release.  Other than that I’m +1 on targeting early September and +1 on Thomas as the release manager.


From: mapserver-dev-bounces at lists.osgeo.org<mailto:mapserver-dev-bounces at lists.osgeo.org> [mailto:mapserver-dev-bounces at lists.osgeo.org<mailto:mapserver-dev-bounces at lists.osgeo.org>] On Behalf Of thomas bonfort
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:33 AM

To: MapServer Dev Mailing List
Subject: [mapserver-dev] Show of hands for 6.4 Release

Hi Devs,

Foss4g is approaching and I think we should have released 6.4 by then, so I'd like to start a bit of planning. My impression is that for the time being we have quite a few new functionalities, but a low risk of backwards incompatibilities/issues, which should make for a short release phase.

I would like to propose a feature freeze and 6.4 branching around mid/end july, for a targeted release around beginning of september ?

Unless someone else wants to assume the role, I volunteer to be release manager again, under the assumption that beta releases happen "when they are ready" rather than on a fixed weekly schedule.

Alan: what's the status of RFC89 in relation to RFC94 ?
Steve: RFC91 is longer term, correct ?

Which brings me to my second point relating to longer term features, in my following email.


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/mapserver-dev/attachments/20130517/741b74a4/attachment.html>

More information about the mapserver-dev mailing list